I was troubleshooting a recent issue with the User Profile Service, where I would make a change to a user account in Active Directory (like a spelling correction). The Profile Sync would occur and I would verify that the correct spelling was in the profile. However, the change did not replicate to the site collection like it was supposed to. This normally happens via a SharePoint timer job named User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization. It’s described function is:
“Synchronizes user information from the user profile application to SharePoint users and synchronizes site memberships from SharePoint to the user profile application”
Well for whatever reason, it wasn’t doing that. To correct the issue, there can be a couple fixes:
- Make a change to one of the fields via Central Administration like Title. Save this change, then re-open the profile and set it back to what it’s supposed to be. This will sometimes force the sync to run properly.
- Remove the user from the site collection and re-add them
This is what did it for me. To do this, perform the following:
- As a site collection administrator, click Site Actions –> Site Permissions
- Click into any existing group (like site Owners). The URL will be something like http://server/_layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupID=28.
- Change the 28 to a 0. The list should now show you All People.
- Find the user who isn’t updating, click the checkbox by their name. Click Actions, Delete Users from Site Collection.
- Now add the user back to the appropriate group, and their spelling should be correct.